Understandably, compared to the US, the UK, and Australia, Canada does not offer many scholarship opportunities to international students. However, it has become a hot spot for international students seeking prestigious, world-class education.
If you know where to apply, then you can gain an edge over other aspirants. If you can identify the scholarships to target, then you increase your chances of studying in Canada. Undoubtedly, several universities in Canada operate a low tuition fee policy for international students, however you will still need a scholarship to cater to your needs and wants.
For those who are after international undergraduate scholarships in Canada, the following are the top seven to which you should direct your application efforts, based on the number and quality of scholarships available. These schools have multiple renewable scholarships with the best comparable values offered to foreign students of any nationality:
University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students – The University of British Columbia (UBC) remains the oldest institution of higher learning in British Columbia and is renowned for excellence in the faculties of Arts, Science, Medicine, Applied Science, and Business. It constantly ranks among the top three research universities in Canada. It offers multiple, renewable scholarships to international students of any nationality.
- Scholarships offered – Four of the most important scholarships offered to international students are:
- International Leader of Tomorrow Award
- International Student Humanitarian Award
- Outstanding International Student Award
- President’s Entrance Scholarships
- Prospective recipients – Note that these scholarships are for international undergraduate students.
- Criteria for eligibility – Generally, decisions will be made based on academic achievement, leadership skills, involvement in student affairs and the community, other recognized achievements, and financial need.
- Requirements for renewal – Students are expected to achieve satisfactory academic standing and continue to demonstrate financial need.
Humber College International Entrance Scholarships – The Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning or Humber College is a Toronto-based publicly funded polytechnic college offering 150 programs across 40 fields of study. It offers multiple renewable scholarships to international students of any nationality.
- Scholarships offered – Renewable full and partial tuition scholarships are available.
- Prospective recipients – The scholarships are for new international students willing to begin classes in September and January.
- Criteria for eligibility – Applications are considered based on academic achievement, community involvement, reference letters, and statement of interest.
- Requirements for renewal – You must maintain a 75 percent grade point average in every year that they are under the scholarship.
York University International Student Scholarship Program – York University is the third largest university in Canada. It excels in various fields of study, including social work (one of the most socially responsive in the country), psychology (the largest program in North America), business and law (both consistently ranking among the top schools in the world), film (the oldest program and one of the best in the country), and space engineering (the only one available in the country). Many of its scholarships are worth significant value and they are extended to foreign students of all nationalities.
- Scholarships offered – York University offers the Global Leader of Tomorrow Scholarship, International Entrance Scholarships, and United World College Scholarships. These are worth $60,000 to $100,000 for a four-year degree program.
- Prospective recipients – The scholarships are for international students applying directly from high school for September entry. There should be no more than two years since their high school graduation.
- Criteria for eligibility – They vary per scholarship program, but applications are generally considered based on academic achievement, nomination by high school, leadership and other demonstrated skills, reference letters, and statement of interest.
- Requirements for renewal – Students must maintain an academic standing of 7.80 on the 9 point York scale.
Carleton University Entrance Scholarship for International Students – Carleton University is a comprehensive university in Ottawa. It was Ontario’s first private, non-denominational college, but is now a public university with over 65 academic programs across a broad range of disciplines. It is considered a great pick for engineering, humanities, industrial design, international business, and public affairs. The scholarships offered are only partial, but relatively significant and are available to foreign students of any nationality.
- Scholarships offered – Carleton offers partial scholarships amounting to $4,000 to $16,000 tenable at the University for September entry.
- Prospective recipients – The scholarships are for exemplary entrance and in-course full-time international undergraduate students.
- Criteria for eligibility – The main requirement is that students demonstrate a high potential for university studies by meeting the admission average of 80 percent and above.
- Requirements for renewal – Students must have an annual grade point average of 10 or better.
Fairleigh Dickinson University Scholarships for International Students – This is actually an American university with campuses in Vancouver and Oxfordshire. The Canadian branch offers undergraduate and graduate courses, which allow students to earn an American degree despite going to school in Canada. The prestige of an American degree and the experience of studying and living in Vancouver are a winning combination in itself. Add the perk of partial yet sizable scholarships offered to foreign students of any nationality and you have an opportunity that’s pretty hard to pass up.
- Scholarships offered – International scholarships worth $13,000 to $25,000 are available.
- Prospective recipients – The scholarships are for qualified, first-time undergraduate international students already admitted at the university.
- Criteria for eligibility – Timely completion and submission of FDU Application for Admission for International Students and American Citizens Abroad.
- Requirements for renewal – Renewal is contingent with successful academic performance.
International Student Scholarships and Awards at Vancouver Island University – Vancouver Island University was recently elevated to Canadian public university status in 2008. Formerly called Malaspina College, the institution plays an important role in the educational, cultural, and economic life in Vancouver Island and coastal British Columbia. Scholarships are for students who have already been admitted. The amounts involved aren’t as high as those of other scholarships, but they would still be a huge help, and they’re for any nationality.
- Scholarships offered – “New Student” ($2,000) and “Continuing Student” ($1,000) scholarships and awards are offered by the university.
- Prospective recipients – The scholarships are for new and continuing international students at the undergraduate level.
- Criteria for eligibility – Students are automatically considered at the time of admission, based on their transcripts and supporting documents. Application isn’t necessary.
- Requirements for renewal – To get the “Continuing Student” scholarship, students must have demonstrated outstanding academic performance in the previous academic year.
Sheridan College International Students GuardMe Scholarship and Bursary – Sheridan College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning is a polytechnic institute in Ontario. It grants diplomas and degrees on a wide scope of programs, including animation and illustration, film, musical theater, design, business, engineering technology, applied computing, liberal studies, and community studies. Its scholarship offers are for admitted students. While not as sizable as other grants, they provide welcome financial help to international students of any nationality.
- Scholarships offered – Sheridan offers entrance ($2,000) and returning ($1,000) students scholarships.
- Prospective recipients – They are for both new and returning international undergraduate students.
- Criteria for eligibility – Students must have high academic achievement. There’s no need to apply. They will be automatically considered based on their transcripts.
- Requirements for renewal – Students must maintain good academic standing with a 3.0 GPA.
These are the top seven Canadian university scholarships available to international students. They all involve outstanding institutions of higher learning and grants for deserving foreign students, no matter their country of origin.
You may check out other options on the International Scholarships page of the official website of the Canadian Government. There are links to various current scholarships as well as a table listing scholarships made available by Global Affairs Canada.
In being aware of these opportunities, interested parties can take the first step to fulfilling their dream of receiving world-class education in beautiful Canada.
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476