Belgium is a renowned study abroad destination for international students, as it offers a superb multicultural space and fantastic academic opportunities. Belgium has several universities ranked internationally. Although a multilingual country with different regions speaking French, German and Dutch, English is widely spoken and used as a language of instruction in schools.
Also for a list of low tuition universities for international students, read this article
Student Visa Requirements
To obtain a student visa to study in Belgium, you’ll need the following:
- A completed and signed visa application form
- A Passport or similar travel document valid for more than 12 months. In some countries, it is required for the passport to be no older than 10 years old and have two empty consecutive pages facing each other.
- Proof that you have sufficient funds for the duration of your study.What should cover health care, living expenses, accommodation and flight fees. This proof could be in the form of a certificate stating that you have received funding grant, or an agreement of financial responsibility from your sponsor, or your bank account showing sufficient funds.
- A medical certificate stating you do not carry any disease that could put the public in danger.
- A police report of good conduct showing you dont have a criminal record.
You’ll also need the following for the same purpose:
- Proof of registration at a higher institution in Belgium(must cover a full time course of study at a higher institution, suggesting that your primary activity in Belgium is studying).
- Application for an equivalent certificate for a diploma, certificate from your high school and the academic record from your last year of high school.
- Copies of all diplomas and certificates obtained since the end of your secondary education.
- An employer’s statement indicating your leave of absence for studies( usually for postgraduate students)
- Document giving a brief description of the courses offered by your university, with a short description comparing these programs to those offered at your country of origin.
Note that all documents in a language other than German, French, English or Dutch must be translated by a sworn translator, legalized again by the Belgian consulate or embassy you go to.
You will also be required to provide a document explaining why you have chosen this very course and how your choices will benefit you. You should demonstrate that you have sufficient knowledge of the language you intend to study in, by providing either proof of passing an internationally recognized language proficiency examinations or certificate issued at the end of your education in the chosen language.
Note that the Belgian Embassy considers visa application on a case by case basis and has the exclusive decision to accept or refuse issuing you a visa. You may choose to appeal the decision if yours is rejected. If the embassy handling your visa application is unable to issue it, they may suggest you apply for a tourist one-which is easier to award. If that is the case, make sure they give you a written statement showing that they advised you to apply for a tourist, as this statement will allow you to exchange your tourist visa for a student one once you are in Belgium.
How to Apply for a student Visa
First, you need to be accepted into a program by an approved university in Belgium and pay the registration fees(which would be refunded if your visa is rejected). If you are an international student, you’ll need to contact your nearest belgian consulate. This embassy will help you determine whether you need a student visa and the processes.
The procedure for obtaining a visa varies depending on the belgian embassy you use. You will need to fill in a visa application form and submit an application fee along with the required documents. International students may need to make an appointment with their embassy in order to make their application.
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476