Stanford University, officially known as Leland Stanford Junior University is a private research university, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of Silicon Valley. It is one of the world’s leading Ivy League universities, often compared to universities such as Yale and Harvard.
Stanford School of Medicine has courses leading to M.S, PhD and M.D degrees. Undergraduate offerings include freshmen and Sophomore Introductory Seminars such as:
- Emergency Medical Technical program
- Stanford Immersion in Medicine Physician Shadowing
- Pre-Vet Advisory and
- Courses in Community Health, including participation in the Stanford free clinics.
- The school also offers several courses through the department of Biology and the interdisciplinary program in Human Biology in the school of Humanities and Sciences.
How To Apply
Applications Opening Date: early June
Deadline: September 29
Step 1: AMCAS Application:
Application to Stanford Medicine must be made through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). DO NOT send applications directly to the Stanford Admissions office.
- Student must take a Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) and their scores will be automatically sent to the medical schools they have applied to. The test must be taken within a four-year period between time of matriculation and time application. If the student plans to take the test during the application time, (June through to September) they must inform the university of this or their application will be viewed without the MCAT scores.
- Student must submit a Letter of Recommendation, submitted through the AMCAS Letter Service. Student should submit three to six letters of recommendation from persons who know them well enough to evaluate their scholarly potential and to describe student’s personal qualities. The people who provide the most valuable evaluations are usually the student’s professors, instructors, thesis advisors or supervisors of special projects, clinical or employment activities.
Step2: Stanford Supplemental Application
Deadline: October 20, 2017 (11:59 p.m. PDT)
- Application Fees
A non-refundable application fee must be paid, via credit card, at the time Stanford Supplemental Application is submitted. Exceptions are made only for those applicants who apply for and receive a fee waiver by the AAMC Fee Assistance Program.
- Personal Essays
The Stanford Supplemental Application requests essay questions about applicant’s personal background and professional interests as part of their additional information.
Step 3: Interviews
All applicants will be reviewed for interviews and notifications for these sent out from July. The office of the MD Admissions will inform each candidate, by e-mail, of whether or not an interview will be granted. Interview will be held between September and March.
Step 4: Acceptance
Decision will be released 3 times between September and March. Admitted applicants are required to submit a signed Statement of Intent to Matriculate form and an enrolment deposit of $100 by April 30th to reserve a place with the university.
- International students will also need to take SAT with Essay or the ACT with Writing for undergraduate courses.
- TOEFL is highly recommended for non-native English speakers.
- Applicant will also need to submit official documents that note grades or marks.
Stanford is committed to meeting demonstrated financial need for all admitted students (regardless of citizenship) who have requested financial aid during the application process. For international students, this also plays as a factor for their admission into the university.
Stanford provides need-based financial aid for all legal U.S citizens and legal non-citizens, regardless of where they attended their high school
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2347037293057