Universität Hamburg is the largest institution for research and education in the north of Germany. It was founded in 1919 and has approximately 170 degree programs in eight faculties: faculty of Law, faculty of Mathematics, faculty or Informatics and Natural sciences, faculty of Psychology and Human movement, faculty of Business Administration (Hamburg Business School).
The university prides itself in key research areas such as Infection Research/Structural System Biology, Particle Physics, Astrophysics and Mathematical Physics, and Health Economics.
MEDICAL SCHOOL OF HAMBURG
At the moment, all courses are offered in German. Thus, all international students with no proof of proficiency in the German Language will have to take the course upon arrival on campus.
- Winter Semester: applications run from 1 June to 15th
- Summer Semester: applications run from 1 December to 15th January
BACHELOR’S COURSES INCLUDE
- Advanced nursing practice
- Applied psychology/psychology
- Ergo therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Rescue management
- Social work
- Transdisciplinary early intervention
- Medical education and
- Medical controlling
MASTERS COURSES INCLUDE
- Health care and nursing education
- Health psychology
- Innovative change processes
- Legal psychology
- Sports psychology
- Work and organisational psychology
- Medical and health psychology
German prospective students and those with equivalent status apply through hochschulstart.de (foundation for university admissions) if they are applying to the first semester of Universität Hamburg’s programs in medicine, dentistry or pharmacy.
For students of other nationalities, find the application form here.
Applicants deemed “equivalent” to German applicants are:
- applicants with a German higher education entry qualification (“Bildungsinländer/innen”)
- citizens of member countries in the European Union or Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway
- applicants who are not citizens of an EU country, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein but whose family members are and who are employed in Germany
- Inform yourself about the subject you would like to study
- Have uni-assist e.v review your foreign higher education entrance eligibility in advance
- Attend German language courses
- Read the information on the online application, complete the form and submit by deadline.
- Send printed out online application together with all necessary documentation via post to Hamburg University by deadline.
- The procedure admits twenty percent of applicants in accordance with a grade-point average (best Abitur or secondary leaving degree quota) as well as the number of half-years which have passed since applicants have received their Abitur or secondary school leaving degree (waiting period).
- For the remaining sixty percent, the universities may admit applicants according to their own criteria. Currently, University of Hamburg only takes grade-point average into consideration for the pharmacy program.
- For its program in medicine, roughly half of the places available within this quota are allocated based on a combination of grade-point average and the results of an exam in the natural sciences and the remaining places are allocated based on a combination of grade-point average, a natural sciences exam and standardized interviews.
- For dentistry, admission is based upon a combination of grade-point average, an exam in the natural sciences and an aptitude test focusing on fine motor skills, and a mental rotation test, i.e. a spatial perception aptitude test.
Cost of Studying
|Semester contribution||EUR 310 per semester (1 semester = 6 months)|
|Health insurance||for students under 30: € 75.04 plus additional contribution for students over 30: € 154.51 plus additional contribution|
|Accommodation||approx. EUR 300 – 500 per month|
|Additional costs of living||approx. EUR 300 – 500 per month|
For more information regarding visa application and how to prepare for studying at University of Hamburg, read this document
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2347037293057