Roosevelt Institute for American Studies is glad to announce its PhD Scholarships starting from 1 November 2017. Applicants from EU countries are qualified to apply for this scholarship program.
The RIAS is a graduate school, library, research and conference center for the study of US history and transatlantic relations in the modern era.
The Roosevelt Institute was previously the Roosevelt Study Center, which was founded in 1986 to facilitate and promote the study of American history. As of 1 January 2017, the Center has renamed the Roosevelt Institute for American Studies. The RIAS possesses an archive and library covering 20th century US history, politics, and culture, and regularly hosts conferences, seminars, and workshops on subjects in this field.
Course Level: Scholarships are offered to pursue PhD program.
Study Subject: Scholarships are offered in the field of American History / American Studies.
Scholarship Award: The successful candidates will get a scholarship of €2,100 gross per month. They will be required to be resident in Middelburg. Each candidate will initially be awarded a scholarship of one year, and prolongation of the scholarship for a further three years is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year. In the second or third year, there may be opportunities for a semester abroad at either the London School of Economics or SciencesPo, Paris.
Number of Scholarships: Not Known
Scholarship can be taken in the Netherlands
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be qualified for the scholarship:
- Writing a dissertation in English within four years
- Submitting research results for publication in international peer-reviewed academic journals
- Presenting papers at conferences and workshops
- Co-organizing conferences and workshops at the RIAS
- Participation in the PhD seminars organized by the RIAS
- (Research) Master’s degree in History, American Studies, or International Relations.
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Demonstrable interest in the research program of the RIAS. A PhD project should convincingly engage with the theme of the Rooseveltian Century.
- Willingness to work in an international academic community that aspires to the highest levels of scholarly excellence.
Nationality: Applicants from EU countries (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK) are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have (Research) Master’s degree in History, American Studies, or International Relations.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must have written and spoken fluency in English.
How to Apply: Please send all application materials electronically to rias-at-zeeland.nl before Monday 4 September 2017 (12.00 hours). All needed documents should be sent in PDF format, with one PDF with all the documents listed above excluding the MA thesis, and a separate PDF with the thesis. The PDF’s should be titled ‘PhD + family name applicant’ and ‘MA Thesis + family name applicant’.
Letters of application should be submitted in English and include:
- A cover letter
- An outline for a project connected with a Rooseveltian Century theme, including a research question and brief historiographical framework (maximum number of words 1500)
- Curriculum vitae and a list of publications (if applicable)
- A copy of a completed (research) MA thesis, including the grade (in the Dutch system, an 8 or higher will be preferred)
- Proof of English language proficiency for non-native English speakers or those without an undergraduate degree obtained in The Netherlands or an English-speaking country (IELTS 7.0 or lower will only be considered in exceptional circumstances, e.g. in the case of other compensatory factors such as unique experience and expertise)
- Details of two referees (with full postal addresses, telephone numbers, and emails). Referees will be contacted directly by the search committee.
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is September 4, 2017.
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476