Hong Kong has one of the fastest growing economies in Asia. If you intend to study in Hong Kong as an international student, you can be confident of finding a lucrative employment with a world class employer after graduation. In this article, we have compiled a list of low tuition universities in Hong kong as well as the admission requirements, tuition and accommodation cost.
How to apply
- Please check with your prospective institutions as well as the available courses and choose which ones best suit you.
- Send an email or reach out via phone call to these institutions and ask whatever questions that are bothering you. You will be provided more information about admission requirements, program-specific criteria, and application deadlines if these are not available online.
- Make sure you qualify for admission. International schools and methods of assessment vary widely, as do prerequisites for specific institutions. In general you will need to have completed secondary school, have earned satisfactory results on your country’s Leaving or Aptitude exams, if offered (for example, A Levels, Baccalaureate, SATs, etc.). If English is not your mother tongue, you’ll need to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or equivalent examinations. Of course, you should contact the institutions for more detailed information.
- Apply. The timetable for this varies by institution, so make sure to confirm what paperwork you’ll need to do, and when to submit it.
Tuition plus Cost of living
As an international student, the tuition fee of studying in Hong Kong would vary according to your level of study and your choice of programme.
Of course, other than tuition fee, you need to allow for other expenses during your study, for example, course materials, examination fee, and graduation fee, etc. Normal ranges of study-related expenses are as follows –
|Item||Amount (HK) per year US$(per year)|
|Tuition Fee (for Internationall students)||HK$90,000 – HK$265,000||US$11,500 – US$34,000|
– Rental for flat (with one bedroom)
|HK$15,000 – HK$45,000
HK$96,000 – HK$180,000
|US$1,900 – US$5,800
US$12,600 – US$23,000
|Living expenses||Approx. HK$50,000||Approx. US$6,400|
|Miscellaneous||Approx. HK$15,000||Approx. US$1,900|
Before deciding to pitch your tent with a certain institution, you are highly advised to visit the institutions’ website or contact the institution directly to check out the tuition fees of the programme that you intend to study.
List of Universities in Hong Kong
Find below the list of top but affordable institutions in Hong Kong
University of Hong Kong (HKU) ; The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) ; The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) ; City University of Hong Kong ; The Hong Kong Polytechnic University ; Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) ; Lingnan University (Hong Kong)