If you have made up your mind to study in Italy, you will most certainly be impressed by the country’s historical heritage. Indeed, Italy’s capital, Rome, was once the renowned political center of the Western civilization. Throughout many centuries, Italy has also played a vital role in Europe’s culture and society, being considered birthplace to the Renaissance also known as modern civilization, a cultural and intellectual movement that began in Northern Italy by the 14th century to later spread rapidly to the rest of Europe. Amongst all this, it’s comforting to know several universities offer courses on low or affordable tuition.
Whether you are seeking to enroll in a Bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD degree or a summer study abroad program in Italy, you will find a wide range of courses that will surely fit your educational needs and personal expectations.
If you have successfully completed upper secondary studies in a recognized higher institution, or are in possession of a valid school leaving certificate and qualify for higher education studies in your home country, you would also qualify for higher education studies in Italy. However, you’ll be requested to prove your level of knowledge of Italian. In some cases, you might be required to take additional qualifying courses for some competitive programs.
Related Post:Cheapest Tuition Universities in Malaysia
If you are applying for a master’s program at university in Italy, you will be required to be in possession of a relevant bachelor’s or equivalent degree diploma.
In the case of applying for doctoral studies at a university in Italy, you will be required to have in possession a relevant diploma or master’s degree program.
In Italy, students are required to pay tuition fees. The average tuition fee for bachelor’s and master’s programs amount to approximately 1500 EUR per academic year.
In some cases, students are exempted from paying tuition fees depending on their financial situation and academic performance. Therefore, we recommend you to contact your university in Italy to learn whether you might qualify for tuition fee exemption.
In general, application deadlines for studies at university in Italy follow the dates as listed below:
- Mid April to mid May: students contact the Italian embassy or consulate in their home countries to receive a Letter of Academic Eligibility and Suitability (in Italian, Dichiarazione di Valoro in Loco (DV)) and pre-apply for the study program of their choice.
- August: students receive a notification on whether they have been admitted to the selected study program and the exact date to take the Italian language exam and any additional exam in case of competitive programs with limited study places.
- September: students take the Italian language exam and any additional exam if needed.
Documents required to apply for your student residence permit in Italy
- The filled-in application form, which you may obtain at any post office.
- A photocopy of a valid travel document, such as your passport. Make sure your passport is valid throughout the entire period of your stay in Italy.
- A copy of your health insurance plan.
- A copy of the statement certifying the studies you will be taking in Italy. The statement is issued by the Italian embassy or consulate along with your national visa for Italy.
- Four recent passport size photos.
Please, do well to connect with your local post office in Italy or the Italian embassy or consulate in your country if you need to provide additional documents.
In order for your student residence permit in Italy to be granted, you will be required to prove you have, at least,417.30 EUR per month.
How to apply for university studies in Italy as a non-EU student
Undergraduate studies (first cycle)
If you plan to enroll in full time undergraduate studies (first cycle) at a higher education institution in Italy for the first time and you are not an EU student, you will have to submit your application by following the steps shown below:
01Actively search for a suitable study program that best meets your personal expectations and academic profile.
02 Reach out to the institution you are interested in, and ask for a prior assessment to learn whether you might be eligible for the study program of your choice.
03Once the institution you are interested in informs you might be eligible, you have to submit a pre-application request to the Italian embassy or consulate in the country where you are residing, by presenting the following documents:
- The filled-in application form to receive a Letter of Academic Eligibility and Suitability (in Italian, Dichiarazione di Valoro in Loco (DV)). The DV is a certificate that acknowledges your foreign studies prior to applying for university studies in Italy.
- The filled-in pre-enrollment form (Model A) (preinscrizione modello A) or the filled-in pre-enrollment form for studies at institutions of arts, deign, music and dance (AFAM) (Model A-bis)
- A copy of your school leaving certificate and the certificate of the results of the university entry examinations you have taken in your country. Please, observe these documents must be officially translated into Italian and legally authenticated by a competent authority.
- Two passport-sized photographs, one of which must be signed by you.
04Once the Italian embassy or consulate has collated all the necessary documentation, it will submit your application and documents to the Italian higher education institution you are interested in.
By the end of August, the Italian embassy or consulate will publish a list of admitted candidates.
If you would like to apply for graduate studies (second and third cycle) at university in Italy, you will have to follow the same steps as explained for undergraduate, non-EU students. However, you will have to present a relevant university certificate that allows you to apply for further higher education programs and fill in the appropriate pre-enrollment form and form to receive a Letter of Academic Eligibility and suitability.
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476