How to study on low tuition in China plus visa process

chinaAre you looking for a information on low tuition universities in China? Search no more! This article will discuss the application process, tuition and living costs, scholarship opportunities as well as the visa application process.

China is home to some of Asia Pacific’s very best universities in terms of their teaching and research achievements. According to the QS Asia University Rankings 2010, among the eight institutions funded by the UGC, three institutions, The University of Hong Kong (first place), The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (second) and The Chinese University of Hong Kong (fourth) are in the top five in Asia and in the top 50 in the world. Another two institutions, City University of Hong Kong and the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, are also within the top 200 in the world.

The Application Process

Most university applications are done online these days and china is no exception. There are online application services available for international students who wish to study in chine. One such service is the CUCAS University Application Service.

The procedure is quite simple through this online service:


         Step 1 Choose university & course

         Step 2 Complete online application

         Step 3 Pay the application fee which is directly charged by the university

         Step 4 Track application status and get the result

Documents that may be required:

  1.   Application Form for International Students
  2.   The notarized Xerox copies of the certificates for the last degree and graduation

3 The notarized Xerox copy of the transcript for the last degree and graduation

  1.   A Xerox copy of the valid passport (Photo page)
  2.   A Xerox copy of the certificate for Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) for those who intend to study in Chinese.

6Two references from two professors or associate professors for master and doctoral programs

Application deadlines

Universities in China normally have two semesters, the Spring semester and Autumn semester.  

For the autumn semester applications should be submitted between late February and late July.

For the spring semester applications should be submitted between late October and late January.

Tuition and living costs:

Here’s a rough estimate of expenses for self- supporting international students. Costs vary from university to university and even time to time. It’s always best to consult your university for more up-to-date information.

Tuition fee for arts subjects          Undergraduates, Chinese-language trainees US $1,700-3,200 annually

         Postgraduates US $2,200-3,700 annually

         Doctoral students US $2,700-4,200 annually

         Short-term students US $350-600 per month

Tuition fee for science, technology, agriculture, medicine, sports, art          Undergraduates, common trainees US $1,800-6,400 annually

         Postgraduates US $2,600-7,400 annually

         Doctoral students US $2,900-8,400 annually

         Short-term students US $350-1,200 annually

Registration fee          US $50-100
Accommodation          US $2-3 per person (in a shared room with a public toilet and bathroom). Accommodation of a higher standard is often available, although at greater expense.
Course materials          US $30-50 for arts subjects, a little bit more for sciences, agronomy, medicine, sports and art.
Canteen food          US $40-60 per person per month for foreign student dining halls; US $20-30 per person per month for Chinese student dining halls.

Scholarship opportunities:

The Chinese government has set up a series of scholarship schemes to sponsor international students in Chinese higher education institutions.

The Chinese Government Scholarship is divided into two categories, full scholarship and partial scholarship.


  1. Full scholarship pays for:

– Registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship and fee for basic learning materials; free accommodation on campus;

– Living allowance;

– One-off settlement subsidy;

-Fee for outpatient medical service, Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China;

– One-off inter-city travel subsidy (each for coming-in and leaving China);

  1. Partial scholarship: One or some items of the full scholarship

International travel expenses: Applicants are expected to pay for their own international travel expenses unless it is set in bilateral agreements or arrangements.

NB Scholarship students are not permitted, in principle, to change their subjects, institutions or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice and the Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201).

Visa Application:

Documentation required:


  1. A valid passport. Make sure your passport is valid for longer time otherwise your residence permit will have to be re-applied after your passport expires.
  2. Recent passport-sized photos
  3. Visa application form
  4. JW-202/201 form
  5. Admission Notice
  6. Physical Examination Record

NB Students who will study in China for more than 6 months need to apply for “X” visa, and those who will study in China less than 6 months (including 6 months) shall apply for “F” visa.


For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to or call +2347037293057

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *