How to Study Masters on Free Tuition in Germany

Masters degrees are usually categorized as either consecutive or nonconsecutive in Germany. Degrees considered as consecutive are usually designed to build on the academic knowledge gained during a related bachelor’s degree. While non consecutive have a greater focus on professional development, usually requiring students to have both an undergraduate degree and relevant past experience.

Related Post: List of Tuition Free Universities in Europe for International Students

Language requirements

Most courses are taught in German, requiring international students to submit proof of proficiency in that language.There are two tests available for this purpose. The DSH test-meaning German language examination for university entrance and TestDAF meaning Test of German as a foreign language. The TestDAF can be taken in several centres around the world in more than 90 countries worldwide.While the DSH is offered only within Germany.

While German remains the primary language of instruction across, a growing number of english taught programs abound especially at masters level for international students. If you decide to study in english and it is not your first language, you will be required to prove your proficiency with an english test such as IELTS or TOEFL.

Related Post: List of Tuition Free Universities in Europe for International Students

How to Apply

To apply to study masters in German, note that an undergraduate degree completed in another country is usually accepted as a suitable higher education entrance qualification, but specific requirements will vary depending on the course and institution. Note that applications to study are either submitted directly to the university or via the online portal -uni assist. This is a centralized portal which screens applicants and passes on those which meet all requirements to the university. Be informed that not all German universities use this service and those that do may require applicants to complete their own application process as well.

The specific documents required and application process will be set out by each institution, but you will always be asked to submit the official copy of their transcripts,a passport photo, a copy of their passport and a copy of their language proficiency exam result(if applicable). Note that an application fee may be charged.

When to submit your application

Applications for winter enrolments need to be made by July 15th and applications for  summer enrolments by 15 January. However application deadlines vary between university and the same university might set a different deadline for different masters programs. Make sure you check the specific deadline for your masters program.It is recommended you submit your applications at least 6 weeks before the deadline, to allow time for corrections or additions if anything is missing.

Tuition Fees

For both undergraduate and graduate degrees, you can study for free in public German universities. This is generally true for international students worldwide, inside, or outside the EU/EEA zone. … Private universities in Germany charge tuition fees and these are between 2,000 and 20,000 EUR/year.

Related Post: Entry Requirements  to Study Free in Finland

Student Visas

Students from the EU, EEA or switzerland would not need a visa to travel to Germany. These students simply need to register at the nearest registry office on arrival to obtain a residence permit. These also applies to students coming in from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, Monaco, South Korea and the US. Students from Andorra, Brazil,El Savaldor, Honduras, San Marino but they won’t be allowed to work during their time in Germany. Students from other countries will need to apply for a visa at the nearest German embassy. It can take several months before a visa is approved, so apply as soon as possible.Visa applicants will be asked to submit a valid passport, confirmation from a German University that an application is completed, health insurance, and proof of adequate funds to cover living expenses.



For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to or call +2348125835476

One comment

  1. I had 3rd class in soil science and land management,any chance I might get to study pre-mba in one of German universities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *