In this article, we will discuss the Admission Requirements for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Canada, the Application Process and Deadlines, the different Tuition Fees charged in different provinces and guidelines to acquiring a Canadian Visa, a Study Permit and a Work Permit for students who want to study at low tuition/cheap universities in Canada.
Canada is gaining greater recognition for providing world-class education to international students who speak either English or French. Canada’s Universities and graduate schools are open to international students. With well-developed and innovative undergraduate and graduate programs in world-class ranked universities, reasonably priced tuition fees and relatively low cost of living, all within one of the most vivid and friendly countries in the world, Canada has become vastly appealing to international students.
High school grades are the main deciders when applying for either a College or University. Many, if not all tertiary institutions will require 70% and over average grade or even 85% and above for some colleges before considering your other documentation.
Admission requirements for undergraduate Programs:
– The two essential criteria are high school grades/performance as well as language skills be it English (in the English provinces) or French (in francophone provinces). Institutions don’t admit many students at undergraduate levels and students fresh out of high school are given greater preference during the selection process.
Admission requirements for Graduate programs:
– An undergraduate degree is commonly mandatory to continue postgraduate studies but it’s not always the case. Sometimes students are admitted if they just have all the necessary theoretical and literature knowledge but no degree. In a postgraduate program you may have a mentor that supervises all your doings, and through interviews and other means, evaluates if you are suitable for engaging in the program.
– You will also be required to prove that you will have all the necessary funds to maintain yourself during the course of the program in order to be admitted. The money can come from various sources like, scholarships, project grants, individual bursaries, loans or even financial aid.
- For professional programs such as Medicine, Law and Engineering a degree is required for a postgraduate program, as well as accreditation of every certificate and academic record, as well as national examination to prove fit to practice professionally.
Admission requirements for International Student:
– A government-accredited high school diploma from your home country and/or an internationally recognized degree.
– International students are required to submit an essay and a personal statement explaining why they think they are fit to enrol in the designated program,
– Documents stating their work experience (if any),
– Reference letters,
– Extracurricular activity certificates and other proof of skills to increase your chances of admission.
– Proof of English language ability in the form of TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam scores.
The Application process:
Confirm that you meet your program requirements. Ensure you have completed the high school courses for both your first and second choice programs.
- Choose your first and second choice programs
- Check the admission requirement for your program choices
- Complete your online application
- Apply for Scholarships
- Apply for Residence
- Submit required documents and review the status of your application
The academic year tends to run from September each year, but some universities have significant starting dates for their postgraduate degrees. Deadline for international students to submit application is normally around the beginning of March and towards the end of March for the submission of documents or transcripts. It’s always best to check with your university to confirm dates.
Tuition fees in Canada vary from program to program, university to university and even province to province. Like in every other country, degrees in professional schools like law, medicine and the MBA are generally ranked as the most expensive.
– Application fees $50 to $150 depending on the University.
– Approximately $25per University for authentication of documents like transcripts and recommendation letters.
– Entrance exam costs around $ 200 a piece, depending on the field you are applying for. Usually students take this exam two times therefore plan on spending around 500 $ on this test.
– Test scores like GMAT, GRE, SAT, TOEFL, IELTS have to be reported by the testing agencies (like ETS), which may cost up to $ 20 per University.
Here’s an overview of University expenses for international students for the different provinces in Canada:
|Province||Undergraduate Students||Graduate Student|
|Newfoundland Prince Edward Island
|$7,260 – $7,510
$8,520 – 12,480
$7,063 – 10,720
$9,168 – 10,518
$6,900 – 16,204
$4,940 – 6,900
$7,779 – 10,890
$6,293 – 11,078
$4,462 – 15,870
|$1,896 – 3,549$6,100
$4,329 – 15,000
$5,610 – 8,465
$8,268 – 20,000
$5,432 – 29,000
$3,795 – 9,685
$5,298 – $19,200
$2,272 – $17,499
The prices above may be too heavy for some international students. To reduce the financial burden of these costs, students can do some small jobs that don’t require a work permit.
To be eligible for work, you must:
– Be a full time student
– Have a valid student permit
– Work exclusively inside the premises ( for on-campus jobs)
– Be an academic student (for off- campus jobs ESL students are not allowed to work).
Rules for working as a student:
– If you fail to complete the three coursed semester you lose the right to work
– You will be working no more than 20 hours per week during the semesters, and 40 hours per week during the yearly breaks (summer and Christmas breaks)
– In case you are working with children or the elderly, you will have to pass the Canadian Medical Exam as required.
– All other types of employment require a work permit.
– In order for international students to complete their compulsory internships requested by their University, they have to apply for work permit additional to the study permit.
Requirements for a work permit:
– You must own a valid study permit
– The type of employment has to be a requested part of the curricula of your studies in Canada.
– The employment has to be part of the academic year, requested by a formal letter sent by the responsible party within the institution.
– The co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study.
A Canadian student visa allows you to not only get a degree in Canada, but also stand a chance to find a permanent postgraduate employment opportunity which is highly probable in the country.
Student visa requirements:
The specific requirements for the Student visa vary depending on the selected level of study, the applicant’s educational background, and their country of citizenship.
Applicants are generally required:
– To provide proof of acceptance and enrolment to an accredited academic institution in Canada,
– Have a valid passport/travel document,
– Provide proof of financial support,
– Documents tying them to their home country,
– Proof of their intention to leave Canada at the end of their studies,
– Proof of no criminal history,
– Proof of no endangering medical conditions of any king and
– Undergo medical tests.
For entry into Canada, students need a Study Permit
If you plan to study a full course over more than six months, it is mandatory to get a study permit before you arrive. You must apply for a study permit from outside Canada, at the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live.
Along with the application form which you will download online, you have to attach the following document in order to apply for a study permit.
– Your letter of acceptance,
– Proof of your identity,
– Proof that you have sufficient funds for your stay in Canada.
Related Posts :
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2347037293057