How to study free in Finland

finfinfinUniversity education in Finland is free for international students! Yaaaaay! That means, you won’t be required to pay for tuition. There are currently two tertiary sectors in Finland namely: universities and polytecnics. These institutions offer various bachelors, masters and doctorate degree programs and in English.

Minimum Entry Requirement

For more information, please check with the admissions office of your university. Generally, you may have to submit your IELTS or TOEFL for English language proficiency.

Application Method

For undergraduate and Master’s degree program, you are allowed to apply online. While doctoral students would have to apply directly to the university

Application Period

It depends on your institution and the program you’ve chosen. Polytechnic institutions accept applications in January and Febuary. While, universities would accept applications from Nov up and until March.

Tuition Fees

No tuition fees are charged in Finland for international students. However, you would be required to pay for your feeding and housing.


Scholarships are availbale only for doctoral and research studies.

Living Costs

Living costs is put at $892 per month and should cover expenses such as food, accommodation and internal travels.

How to Apply

For application instructions and how to apply: click here to apply . Please check all details relating to criteria and admissions with the institutions you are applying to.

After Application

Selection process will be carried by the carried by the university or polytechnic you’ve submitted your application to. For undergraduate programs, you may submit your SATs to boost your chances.

Final Admission

Admission selection can be super competitive. Only a limited number of spots are available every year. Admitted students would be emailed official admission letters.

Student Visa

This is gotten after an admitted has received his admission letter.

For international students, health insurance, bank statements would be requested at the finnish embassy in your country before a student visa is issued.



For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to or call +2348125835476


  1. Hello. I am a Nigerian students and am i will be going for my NYSC by sept.15 and will be done with it by sept. 16. i graduated graduated from Pure and applied Chemistry. I dont want to waste any time after my NYSC so I intend applying and going for my Masters degree in finland by 2016 if possible or 2017. What are the things I need to get for my application and requirements? i really dont know Also note that I will still be on my masters program during the application period but will finish by May 2016. Please, kindly enlighten and guide me as I wish to start my masters immediately after my Youth Service. My course of study would likely to be related to chemistry/sciences

    1. Hello Shodiya,
      i would recommend you thinking of programs in the university of Helsinki. Its a great university with great academics. Application for Master’s programmes through University Admissions Finland (UAF) opens in early December 2015 and closes on January 27, 2016. As soon as possible, you should make sure that you satisfy the language requirements and that you have collected and authorized your application documents. When the application period starts complete registration. Submit all items in time to meet the deadline.
      For more click here:

  2. I’m Stanley Elege from Delta State Nigeria. i currently work in a call centre as a customer care agent , am a graduate of marketing with a cpga of 3.28 but wish to pursue an undergraduate course in law.
    kindly assist me with list of finnish institutions to apply.

    i will be very glad to read a reply from you.

  3. HELLO ;
    Is applying to the applied science courses still valid that one need to travel for the entrance exam(bachelor level ) in finnland or do they have somewhere in Nigeria for the exam? is it still advisable to push for an applied science university in finnland?

    Another thing is I was in a commercial class while in Secondary school,and i would like to study in a university using english language,are there places that can be recommended? ( study type ; business management or international relations or any course that a commercial student can do.) if there are links i will read up on them

    Also, is it only in applied science schools they have courses in English or are there other universities where one can study bachelor in English?

    About my waec certificate i got a lower grade in economics and i would like to study business administration, does this count to my chance of getting a course in this line?

    Thanks alot for your reply in advance

  4. Hello,
    I am Cathy from Cameroun wish to apply to study medecin in english wish to know the step to follow and if they are scolarship available in english

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *