How Can I work and Study in Canada and New Zealand?


Canada is already a very popular study abroad destination for thousands of international students from around the world. This is because of the high quality education at  very affordable tuition. However, once you are  admitted to a university in Canada, you will be required to process a valid Canadian student Visa also called ‘study permit’ to study there. Today’s post will provide much needed enlightenment on how you can obtain a Canadian student visa (study permit) and how to work while studying.

More than 130,000 students from various countries of the world troop to Canada for studies. If you intend to study at a Canadian educational institution, most international students must apply for a study permit. A study permit, once issued, allows a foreign national to study in Canada at an approved institute for the duration of the specified course or program.

It might  interest you to know that in some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada:

  • If the course or program you intend to study is less that 6 months in duration.
  • If you are a family member or staff of a foreign representative to Canada.
  • If you are a member of a foreign armed force.

Related Post: How to apply for a Dutch Student Visa

To be eligible to study in Canada:

  • You should have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
  • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
    • tuition fees;
    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada; and
    • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also be required if the student is a citizen of a country from which Temporary Resident Visas are required for entry into Canada. A Temporary Resident Visa is not required for citizens of visa exempt countries.

Related Post: Types of US Student Visas

Working in Canada as a Student

Note that while studying in Canada as an international student, it is possible to work under the Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC’s) work programs for students.

A student may be able to work in Canada during the course of study under the following categories:

  • On campus without a Work Permit;
  • Off campus with a Work Permit;
  • In Co-op and Internship Programs, where work experience is part of the curriculum, with a Work Permit.

In addition to this, spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for a work permit for the duration as the study permit.

New zealand

New Zealand is as big as  Japan or Great Britain. You would really enjoy living on the countryside with its  unique and quite spectacular rolling green hills, golden sand beaches and lush rainforests, all accessible within a few hours drive.

New Zealand is not a thickly populated country,with just only four million inhabitants, known popularly as ‘Kiwis’, who are very affectionate, easy going, warm and appreciative of their neighbors, and international friends. New Zealanders travel out of their continent a lot,so this means they are very used to a wide range of cultures.

New Zealand is actually a multi-cultural country, with a nice fusion of Maori  people, Pacific Islanders, European and Asians combining together to create a stimulating and colourful society.

Work and study: – All international students on a  student visa can work up to 20 hours per week or less during a full semester and during vacations Most New Zealand Universities offer a= student employment services popularly called ‘Student Job Search’ to help international students find jobs.

Tuition Fees

The tuition fees for schools in this country are actually cheap when compared with institutions of other developed countries. is different for different universities and colleges and varies with courses. Below is a list of how much each course should .

Undergraduate  Courses

Arts / Humanities / Social Sciences       NZ $ 10,000 – $ 12,000  per year

Commerce / Administration / Management     NZ $ 10,000 – $ 12,500  per year

Computing & Mathematical Sciences       NZ $ 13,000 – $ 15,000 per year

Engineering       NZ $ 16,000 – $ 17,500  per year

Science / Science Technology     NZ $ 14,000 – $ 16,000 per year

Technology       NZ $ 14,000 – $ 18,000  per year

Living Expenses

Related Post:Comprehensive List of Affordable Tuition Universities in Turkey

The approximate  living cost for international students is between NZ $ 10,000 – 13,000, which actually covers accommodation and personal expenses.

However, the expenses would vary for different people depending on the lifestyles  the individual chooses. Note that New Zealand has one of the lowest cost of living among  developed countries of the world.

List of Universities

*Auckland University of Technology

*Lincoln University

*Manukau Institute of Technology

*Massey University

*Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand

*The University of Auckland

How to Apply

International students wishing to study in Newzealand can gain admission into their Universities through one of the following ways:

*By having  in a possession a secondary school qualification which is recognised in New Zealand as an equivalent to the New Zealand university entrance exams standard.

* By attending a recognized secondary school in New Zealand and achieving the country’s university entrance exams standard.

*  By finishing an approved foundation programme at a recognized university in New Zealand.

Most of the application to schools in Newzealand are online while some are paper based. Reach out to the University you are applying to know which application method is approved by the institution.



For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to or call +2348125835476

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *