The UNESCO japan prize on education for sustainable development (ESD) honour outstanding projects by individuals, institutions and organizations related to ESD
Application Deadline: 30th April 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Japan
About the Award: The prize which is funded by the government of Japan consist of three annual awards of USD 50,000for each recipient.
The prize and award winners recognise the role of education in connecting the social, economic cultural and environmental dimension of sustainable development. The global action program on ESD(GAP) calls for scaling up of ESD action at all level as a mean of implementing all the sustainable developmental goals.
The prize was established by the Executive board of UNESCO at its 195th session within the framework of the GAP on education for sustainable development and announced at the UNESCO world conference on ESD (10-12 November 2017 Aichi Nagoya Japan)
Offered since: 2015
Selection Criteria: The three Prize winners are selected by the Director-General of UNESCO on the basis of recommendations made by an international independent Jury consisting of five experts.
The project/programme of the nominee are assessed by the Jury on the basis of the following criteria:
- Transformation: The project/programme practices Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) as transformative education in support of sustainable development, , leading to individual and social change.
- Integration: The project/programme addresses the three dimensions of sustainable development (society, economy, and environment) in an integrated way.
- Innovation: The project/programme demonstrates an innovative approach to ESD.
In addition to these three criteria, the project/programme should:
- be on going and have been running for at least four years
- have a high impact relative to the invested resources
- be replicable and scalable
- Contribute to one or more of the five Priority Action Areas of the GAP.
Number of Awardees: 3
Value of Award: USD 50,000 each
How to Apply: While completing the Form, please also keep in mind that the project/programme will be assessed by the Jury on the basis of the selection criteria above.
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2347037293057