African institute for mathematical sciences (AIMS) is seeking applications for its post-doctoral fellowship in data sciences.
Application Deadline: 15th February 2017
Eligible Countries: Preference will be given to applicants from SADC member states but candidates from all over Africa are encouraged to apply.
To be taken at (country): South Africa
About the Award: the very crucial new field of Data Science is evolving very rapidly is having the potential to affect many applications. For the mathematical science community, we see a lot of challenging Mathematical and Computational underpinning of Data science with tons of interesting research questions to investigate. The data science research group that is built around the German research chair in mathematics with specialization in data science will undertake research on the mathematical and computational challenges of the field.
Field of research: research projects will be spread over the following thematic areas
- Mathematical method for data science.
- Computational techniques (algorithms) for data science.
- Application for data science tools to problems from industry.
- HPC implementations and studies of arising scientific computing issues.
- A relevant doctorate of high standing
- A developing research capability which will lead to good publications
- Ability to tutor postgraduate students successfully
- Ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Good communication skills
- Fluency in English
Value and Duration of Fellowship: Fellowships are tenable for one year, contingent on satisfactory progress, and could be extended for a second year. Fellowships are immediately available and the value of the award ranges between R200 – R240k per annum, tax-free, subject to qualification and experience. Other benefits included the provision of a laptop, coverage of all cost associated with the use of HPC resources, and a conference travel allowance of R 30,000 per annum
How to Apply:
- A covering letter motivating the application
- A comprehensive CV stating research plans in the above or related areas
- Two reference letters from academics familiar with your work
- Statement on citizenship and whether a South African work permit is currently being held
- Other practical information such as earliest date of commencement
- Please note the Fellowship cannot be held concurrently with any supplementary funding.
Send completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476