Application Deadline: Submit applications on or before 30th November 2017.
Eligible Countries: Scholarships are for African countries
Scholarship country: Scholarships will be taken in Scotland, UK
Eligible Field of Study:
- All Undergraduate programmes
Scholarships are available for the following Postgraduate Masters programmes:
- MSc Africa and International Development
- MSc Environment and Development
- MSc Global Health Policy
- LLM Human Rights
- MA Product Design
- MSc Sustainable Energy Systems
Award Info: The Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme provides support for the brightest and best African scholars who have displayed great potential but few educational opportunities available to them. By virtue of the generous support of the Foundation, successful scholars will be provided with the opportunity to become leaders within their communities and to improve the lives of countless more when they return home to Africa.
The Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program provides young people who have demonstrated academic talent with access to quality education. The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a growing initiative and to date, the Program has committed over $700 million to supporting the education and leadership development of over 30,000 young people. Throughout a network of partners, the Scholars Program ensures that students whose academic talent and promise exceed their financial resources, are equipped with the knowledge and skills they need to become the next generation of ethical leaders.
Scholars will be provided with the opportunity to become leaders within their communities and to improve the lives of countless more when they return home to Africa.
Scholarship Type: Only bachelors and masters taught programs.
- Applicants must first qualify academically for admission to the University of Edinburgh. It is important that applicants apply to this scholarship BEFORE applying to the University. Please check the section on applying below for additional information;
- Applicant must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country, whose personal circumstances would make accepting an offer from the University of Edinburgh difficult. Applications from Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe are particularly welcome;
- You must demonstrate a track record of leadership and service within your community; and
- You are able to present economically disadvantaged circumstances and be able to show that you lack financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary (university) education in your home country or elsewhere.
The scholarship is not available to students already on programme.
The scholarship may be terminated at any time when an unsatisfactory progress report is received from the School or if the scholarship holder ceases to be registered as a full-time student at the University of Edinburgh.
- The scholarships are competitive and awarded broadly on the basis of academic merit. Applicants financial, personal, and family circumstances will also be taken into account.
- Applicants must also be committed to returning to Africa following their graduation to give back to their home community and country.
Number of Awardees:
- 25 scholarships are available in 2018/2019 for undergraduate programmes
- 10 scholarships are available in 2018/2019 for Masters programmes
Value of Scholarship: The scholarship will provide full scholarships, including accommodation costs, living costs, travel and tuition fees to students taking courses on campus at Edinburgh. 60 Scholars from other MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions will also benefit from participating in a number of online distance learning Masters programmes offered by the University of Edinburgh. As well as receiving an excellent education at one of the top ranked universities in the world, undergraduate Scholars will:
- Participate in UK and Africa based Summer Schools;
- Complete a course on African development;
- Engage in a volunteering project in their home country;
- Undertake a work-based placement in the UK;
- Receive support on their return to their home country; and
- Following their graduation, around 50% of our undergraduate Scholars will then be supported to complete distance learning Masters degrees after their return to Africa.
Postgraduate masters Scholars will:
- Complete six courses followed by the production of a dissertation;
- Participate in a retreat designed to nurture leadership skills;
- Attend a short Summer School; and
- Undertake an internship which will include reflective learning.
Online distance Masters Scholars will:
- Undertake a range of online distance Masters degrees which will be available to 60 Scholars from Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions.
Duration of Scholarship: Complete duration of any programme.
How to Apply: All interested applicants must apply for these scholarships first through the online application form and, if successful, will be assisted in the process of applying for admission to the University.
It is important to go through application instructions on the Scholarship Webpage (See Link below) before applying.
Click here to apply
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476