Application Deadline: Submit applications on or before 10th December, 2017
Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan African countries
Scholarship country: Scholarships will take place at McGill University Canada
Scholarship Info: McGill University and The MasterCard Foundation are pleased to offer The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill University for the academic year. This prestigious scholarship recognizes students who are residents and citizens of Sub-Saharan African countries (including French-speaking students), who come from the most challenged socioeconomic backgrounds and who show outstanding academic and leadership abilities.
Thanks to a $27 million financial commitment from The MasterCard Foundation over the next decade, the Program will provide academically talented, economically disadvantaged young people from Africa with access to quality university education. McGill will welcome 91 Scholars from Africa over the next ten years, some of whom will be coming from French-speaking countries.
In addition to financial support, accepted scholars will be provided with a comprehensive support network that will include an array of mentoring and support services to ensure each student’s academic success, community service engagement and transition to socially relevant employment opportunities, when they return to Africa at the conclusion of their studies.
Eligible Field of Study: Scholarships will focus on development related courses.
Please note that the underlisted courses are not eligible for funding from the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program:
- Farm Management,
- Physical and Occupational Therapy,
- Music, and
- Programs from the School of Continuing Studies.
Scholarship Type: Undergraduate programs.
- You have to qualify academically for admission to McGill University. Please note that the admission process is competitive.
- You are expected to be a first-time applicant to university (transfer applicants are not eligible).
- Applicants must be residents and citizens of a Sub-Saharan African countries. French-speaking applicants are equally welcome.
- You must have an exceptional record of service and activity in your school and/or community.
- You must have the potential for meaningful future service to your community as a leader engaged in dynamic local and global social change.
- Your financial status must be in the lowest two quintiles of your country.
Admission to McGill University
- Academic achievement and potential – academic admissibility is determined based on the applicant’s academic record.
Acceptance to The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
- Applicants must demonstrate an exceptional record of service and leadership in your school and/or your community. This may include organizing youth programs, assuming leadership roles in school activities, participating in clubs and teams, taking on responsibilities at home, advocacy and/or volunteering in your community.
- You must be committed to returning to Africa after graduation to continue to give back to your community and country.
- You must be from a low-income background. Your financial status will be verified.
To be considered for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill University, you must demonstrate academic potential, exceptional records of service and activity in your schools and communities and/or the potential for meaningful community service through engagement as leaders in dynamic local and global social change efforts.
Number of Scholarships: Over the next ten years, McGill will welcome 67 MasterCard Foundation Scholars at the undergraduate level and another 24 at the Master’s level, for a total of 91.
Value of Scholarship: All MasterCard Foundation Scholars at McGill will receive a comprehensive set of financial, social, and academic support throughout their education and during their postgraduate transitions.
Duration of Scholarship: four years duration of the undergraduate degree
How to Apply: Because applicants to The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program do not have to pay the $107.50 application fee, you must follow a special application procedure.
You will find detailed instructions on this special procedure, and complete information about applying to McGill as a MasterCard Foundation Scholar, from the link below.
Click here to apply
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2347037293057