Thanks to the generous donation by the Simons Foundation , NY the commission for Developing Countries of the International Mathematical Union is launching the IMU-Simons African Fellowship program to support research visits of Mathematicians living and working in developing countries in Africa.
- 1st February 2018 (Decisions will be made by March 2018)
- 1st June 2018 (Decisions will be made by July 2018)
- 1st October 2018 (Decisions will be made by November 30, 2018)
Only applicants from African countries.
The IMU-Simons Africa Fellowship Program will support research sabbaticals for mathematicians from African developing countries employed in Africa to travel to an internationally known mathematical centre of excellence worldwide for collaborative research.
Note that the period is not for any post graduate courses or post doctoral training but for a limited research period.This grant will duly cover travel and living costs of African mathematicians working in Africa.
- The applicant has to hold a valid doctoral degree in Mathematics
- He should be based in a developing African country
- The applicant has to be employed as a mathematician in a faculty of a university or an equivalent higher education.
- The applicant is expected to have established contact with a mathematician in the host institution in Mathematical centre of excellence worldwide and should have a definite research plan together with the host, which must be submitted along with the curriculum vitae of both mathematicians at the time of applying for this grant.
- The applicant is expected to have been granted appropriate leave of absence from his/her home institution which will cover the period of the visit.
- Also, the minimal length of a visit that could be favourably considered would be one month.There is no maximal length, but it has to be a sabbatical/research visit not a fellowship visit in the host institution.
Value of Scholarship
The grant under this scheme will cover the following:
- Travel expenses from the place of work of the applicant to that of the host to the extent of economy class airfare
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance charges
- Basic living expenses
- Accomodation expenses
- Maximum four taxi fares may be allowed to travel between the residences.
How to Apply
In order to apply, please apply the following steps:
- Please fill out the online application form for IMU-Simons Programs.
- Then send the application with all requested documents (two CVs: of the host and the applicant, detailed research plan, invitation letter by the host institution,tentative budget details.
Please click here to apply
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476