The Flemish Department of Education and Training is currently offering free scholarships for the academic year 2018/2019 under the new Priority Country Programme. This scholarships will promote exchange of students between Belgium/Flanders and following priority countries listed below.
Application Deadline: Submit applications on or before 2nd April 2018
Eligible Countries: Apply if you hail from: Brazil, Chile, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Russia, South Africa, Turkey and the United States of America.
Scholarship Country: Various universities in Belgium
- KU Leuven / University of Leuven
- University of Antwerp
- Ghent University
- Hasselt University
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel
University colleges (Arts and Nautical Sciences)
- Artesis Plantijn Hogeschool Antwerpen
- Erasmushogeschool Brussel
- Hogere Zeevaartschool
- Hogeschool Gent
- Howest, Hogeschool West-Vlaanderen
- Karel de Grote-Hogeschool
- LUCA School of Arts
- Odisee: Stefanie Derks
- Hogeschool PXL
- Hogeschool VIVES
- Thomas More Mechelen-Antwerpen
- Thomas More Kempen
- UC Leuven
- UC Limburg
Eligible Field of Study: The program holds for all study areas.
Award Info: The selection for the Priority Country Programme is made only once a year. In this respect, those who are planning to exchange in the Spring Semester of 2019 (January-August 2019) shall apply for 2018/2019. It is estimated that 100 to 120 students can benefit from the program on a yearly basis.
Many forms of mobility are accepted under the Priority Country Programme: both short mobility of one, two or three months, or long mobility of one semester up to a period of maximum one year, both for study or internship:
- Brazil, Chile, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Russia, South Africa, or the United States of America: fellowships for students in both directions, both short and long mobility.
- Turkey: fellowships for students in both directions, short mobility only: duration of mobility is restricted to one month for internship and two months for study.
Eligibility: Due to the unique nature of this program, in order to be eligible, the exchange project needs to fulfill all requirements below:
- The applicant of a Priority Country Programme grant is fulltime enrolled in a study programme of EQF level 5, 6 or 7.
- In case of study mobility: A higher education institution in Belgium/Flanders (Home institution) and an educational institution in Brazil, Chile, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Russia, South Africa, Turkey or the United States of America (Host institution) have established an academic cooperation agreement or have the intention to set up a new cooperation agreement by writing a letter of engagement.
- In case of internship: A higher education institution in Belgium/Flanders (Home institution) and an institution/organization/company in Brazil, Chile, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Russia, South Africa, Turkey or the United States of America (Host institution) have established a traineeship agreement.
- The Flemish higher education institution, as well as the partner from Brazil, Chile, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Russia, South Africa, Turkey or the United States of America cannot ask tuition fees to the students for the exchanges.
- To be eligible for a Priority Country Programme grant, the student cannot be staying in the country of the Host institution already at the time of the selection procedure.
- International students meet all academic entrance criteria, including relevant language requirements, for entering the study programme in the Flemish host institution.
- A maximum of six applications per country can be submitted per higher education institution.
Nationality of the student does not factor into the selection process
Number of Awards: It is estimated that 100 to 120 students can benefit from the Priority Country Programme 2018-2019.
Value and Duration of Scholarship:
- The grant amount is €650/month for the Flemish student with a total maximum of €2.600 and €800/month for the international student with a total maximum of €3.200.
- The students receive a supplementary reimbursement for travel expenses, according to the following rules in the link below.
How to Apply:
- The application needs to be submitted following the rules for 2018/2019 submission in the Program Webpage (see Link below).
- Note that all documents need to be written in English, with exception of the official Transcript of records. If the Transcript of Records written in another language than Dutch, French or English, enclose a certified translation.
- International students must meet all academic entrance criteria, including relevant language requirements, for entering the study programme in the Flemish host institution.
Click here for more info
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476