Application Deadline:Submit applications on or before 10 December 2016
Eligible Courses: All first year entry undergraduate programs in either the Faculty of Arts and Science or the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering will be available for selection.
Scholarship Info: If you are a talented international student from Sub-Saharan Africa who has succeeded academically and are personally committed to giving back to your country, yet experience significant economic barriers, then you are invited to apply to The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme.
The University of Toronto MasterCard Foundation will award the MasterCard Foundation Scholarships in its bid to develop Africa’s next generation of leaders.
Thanks to the Foundation’s visionary support, U of T can now provide 67 African students with one of the world’s top-ranked educations—in one of the world’s most multi-cultural cities. The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme opens up boundless opportunities for young Africans from economically disadvantaged communities, but with academic talent, potential to lead, and motivation to make a difference. As U of T graduates and global citizens, they will return to Africa with the tools to change lives within their communities and across borders.
Scholarship Type: Only undergraduate degree Scholarships for African students.
Selection Criteria: The Toronto MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme is now open to applicants who are residents and citizens of a Sub-Saharan Africa country. You have to be a first-time applicant to the University of Toronto who has not yet begun university study elsewhere. Please note that you are not eligible to apply If you are a transfer student.
To be eligible for the Toronto MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme, you must:
- be a resident and a graduating high school student of a country within Sub-Saharan Africa;
- demonstrate financial need correspondent to that of the lowest two quintiles of your country;
- have very strong academic results within your school system;
- have a record of leadership and extracurricular involvement;
- maintain a strong desire to return to Africa to assist and work towards enhanced regional socioeconomic development;
- be graduating from a recognized secondary school, or have completed the necessary academic requirements; and
- fulfill the necessary English requirements (dependent on country);
Please note that both academic and English requirements differ based on the country and educational system you are coming from.
Number of Scholarships:A total of 67 scholarships will be offered throughout the life of the program
Value of Scholarship:
- Once selected, you will receive a scholarship equaling the costs related to attaining a Bachelor’s degree, including travel, tuition, textbooks, housing, food, and living expenses. Also, you will receive financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support which will assist you to build experiences and competencies critical for academic and future successes.
- Internships: The program will also provide two unpaid internships. The first will take place in the Toronto area for three months during your second summer to provide local practical work experience and skills. The second internship will take place in Africa during your third summer.
- There will be funding available to help you with the cost of a passport. If you do not own a passport, the program will aid in passport applications and related costs.
Duration of Scholarship: for a four-year undergraduate degree
Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan Africa
To be taken at (country): University of Toronto. Canada
How to Apply: To apply for the scholarship and for admission, you must submit an online application.
A completed application includes the following components:
- A completed online application – all applicable sections must be filled out, including contact information, financial information, personal details and responses to essay questions.
- Financial documents – upload a scanned copy of financial documentation.
- Transcript – upload a scanned copy of your secondary school transcript and any other academic information.
- Two references – provide the names and contact details of two individuals who will serve as your referees. We will contact your referees directly and ask them to submit their letter of reference through a secure website.
Click here to apply
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2347037293057