Brief description: The Mastercard Scholarship Program is providing scholarships to academically promising young Africans to undertake undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at UCT. Students who are accepted into the Program will have access to mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counselling.
Application Deadline: Submit applications on or before 30th September, 2016
Eligible Countries:All countries in Sub-Saharan Africa
Scholarship country: South Africa
Eligible courses:You are eligible to apply if you are interested in taking up any one of these courses: Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
More Info: MasterCard Foundation has gotten into a partnership with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social and post-graduation support to qualified candidates under MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town. The Program hopes to transition promising young people from beneficiaries to benefactors, preparing them with the necessary values, knowledge, skills, and leadership to fuel economic and social progress across Africa. The Program targets academically qualified undergraduate and postgraduate candidates who are economically disadvantaged young people with leadership potential from Sub-Saharan Africa.
In 2017 42 opportunities (13 undergraduate and 29 Masters) are available for students who intend to commence with their first year of registration for full-time undergraduate and Masters study. No applications for a MasterCard Foundation scholarship for Honours studies at UCT in 2017 will be considered.
Offered Since: 2012
Eligibility: To stand a chance of getting into the The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, candidates must meet the underlisted criteria:
- Applicants should be citizens of a Sub-Saharan African country
- Seek and gain admission to a Master’s and Undergraduate programme and commence with their first year of registration in any of the faculties at UCT
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need, and leadership potential
- Applicants who intend to register for a second postgraduate degree at the same level (i.e. Master’s degree) are ineligible to apply for this scholarship
- Note that individuals who have previously registered for a Master’s degree at any higher learning institution are ineligible for this scholarship
- Only applicants who have applied to the relevant academic department at the University of Cape Town are eligible to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town awards. Although each academic department has its own academic criteria, a minimum of 60% for undergraduate or an equivalent degree is the general academic criterion required for entry into the Master’s programmes.
- The comments on the academic abilities of the applicant by the academic referees will form part of the academic criteria for this scholarship.
- Successful applicants will be required to produce the original academic transcripts on arrival and registration at UCT
- Applicants will be required to produce translated copies of all academic transcripts where English is not the primary language.
Financial Need Eligibility
Financial Need must be illustrated as follows:
- Full declaration of all financial and educational details required must be recorded in the Affidavit (Section B) provided on The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, postgraduate Master’s scholarship application form or the online application form.
- Details of all property and assets of any nature must be declared.
- UCT reserves the right to request that applicants furnish evidence of answers/statements on the application form. If it is found that the provided information is false or untrue, the University further reserves the right to disqualify an application and/or to cancel and recover any scholarship funds that may have been paid out to an awardee.
- You should have received an admission offer to study at UCT
- You should come from an economically disadvantaged background
- You must show leadership potential and must have acted in a leadership capacity previously
- Lastly, applicants must meet the set academic criteria
Number of Scholarships: 13 undergraduate and 29 Masters
Value of Scholarship:
The scholarships provision will cover the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Meals through the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to your studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for your degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
Duration of Scholarship: 1 year
How to Apply: In order to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement. Candidates are encouraged to make contact with the relevant department that the academic application will be submitted to.
Click here to apply
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476