Deadline April 1 2017
Latvian government is now accepting applications for study scholarship, for undergraduate, masters and PhD degrees. This study scholarship is available for international students for the academic year 2017/2018.
Scholarships are awarded to foreign students, researchers, and teaching staff who have completed at least one year of academic studies for studies, research and participation in summer schools.
Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other languages in order to be able to study there.
- The amount of the Latvian state scholarship for studies is:
- for bachelor`s and master`s students – 500 EUR per month;
- for PhD students – 670 EUR per month.
- All study programmes in English at Latvian higher education institutions are not free of charge. The Latvian scholarship holder can use the scholarship for covering of the tuition fee or for accommodation and meals. Please take into account that the amount of the scholarship is not high enough to cover all expenses in Latvia.
- In limited numbers the host higher education institution provides the scholarship holder with a place in a students’ dormitory or a guesthouse. Requests for accommodation at the international student dormitories need be submitted one month before arriving at a respective higher education institution.
- In any month in which the foreign student is present in the territory of Latvia for less than 15 calendar days no scholarship is provided.
- The Latvian scholarship cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships.
- Travel expenses from a home country to and from Latvia are not covered by the Latvian scholarship.
- Scholarship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage.
- Scholarships for applicants from one country may not exceed 10% from the total grant amount for study scholarships.
Eligibility criteria is:
- Citizens from countries which have signed an agreement with Latvia or have offered Latvian citizens scholarships can apply for the Latvian state scholarship
- application for bachelors and first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from students who have completed at least one year of academic studies(at their home higher institutions or at a Latvian higher education institution, if they have been already studying in Latvia) at the moment of application(February, March 2017)
- Scholarships for bachelors and masters studies are granted for one academic year.-a time period of up to 10 months (up to 11 months for PhD students.
- Scholarship for masters studies in the study program of Latvian philosophy/ Latvian literature, Latvian culture and Latvian history can be granted for two academic year i.e. for the duration of master’s degree program
- Nationality: Citizens from countries which have signed an Agreement can apply for these Latvian government scholarships.
List of Countries: Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Finland, France, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, South Korea, Tajikistan, The People`s Republic of China, Turkey, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan or offer scholarships for Latvian students (Austria, Iceland, Slovakia, United States of America, Denmark, Japan, Sweden, Germany, Norway and Switzerland
Entrance requirement: application for bachelors and the first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from student who have completed at least one year of academic studies (at their homes, HEI, or at Latvian HEI if they already have been studying at Latvian)at the moment of application (February, March 2016
English language requirement: applicants from home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirement in order to be able to study there.
Application process applicants should apply by post. Online application will be available soon.an applicant as to register in the system and make a profile with a unique login and password. After that an application form can be filled online and necessary documents can be attached there as well. The systems will re quire the following documents to be up loaded:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV). Please use the Europass template: europass.cedefop.europa.eu
- Letter of motivation (including activities outside studies related to the study field in Latvia or in the home country, e. g. work in professional organisations, participation in scientific conferences, international projects)
- Photocopies of diplomas of higher education and supplements or a transcript of records of the last two study semesters (if studies are not completed)
- Copies of two letters of recommendation from academic staff members, signed within the last six months
- A copy of a letter of the relevant Latvian higher education institution, confirming the foreigner’s opportunity to study in the chosen study programme and informing about the language of instruction (Latvian or other EU official language). List of contact persons of Latvian higher education institutions
- Study plan for duration of the scholarship
- A copy of a certificate or other document certifying the language proficiency required for studies
- Copy of an ID (identification document) or a passport.
- All documents, which are not in Latvian or English, shall be translated into Latvian or English.
- Any incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If applicants are nominated by a competent authority of their countries – Ministry of Education, Agency for Education etc. –, they have to contact the authority and send application documents to the authority as well, if required.
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2347037293057