- the MA in Development Studies (next deadline 31st July 2017, online application is available in the “How to apply” section of the Programme!)
- the Master in Public Administration (next deadline 31st July 2017, online application is available in the “How to apply” section of the Programme!)
- the MA in Development Management (Bochum Programme, next deadline 31st December 2017)
- (separate online application platform, access and guidelines via “How to apply” section of the Bochum programme or via the course homepage)
- the different PhD options at the centre (PhD UWC) (next deadline 31st July 2017, online application is available in the “How to apply” section of the Programme!)
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Scholarships will be available to applicants from Sub-Sahara Africa
Scholarship country: School of Government, University of the Western Cape, South Africaand Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany
Eligible Courses: Scholarships are available for full-time students of
- MA in Development Studies
- Master in Public Administration
- PhD options at the CDR
Scholarship Info: In order to adequately prepare the next generation of leaders through research-oriented training it is not sufficient to have the possibility to award scholarships to promising candidates from all over Sub-Saharan Africa, but it is also necessary to maintain a strong research focus on the work of the centre and to cooperate closely with other leading universities in the region.
Scholarship Type: Masters & PhD
Selection Criteria and Eligibility: Requirements for application and application procedures.
- Applicants should be from Sub-Sahara Africa
- Applicants should have an outstanding academic record – at least 70% of your last degree
- Applicants must apply within 6 years of having completed their previous degree
- Note that the study must have been completed at an internationally recognized university
- The previous degree (Baccalaureus or Master) should have been an academic discipline which is related to Development Studies or Public Administration
- South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course. Other students need the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree
- Applicants are expected to provide results of their proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be TOEFL test or a similar standard test or a letter from an academic institution
- Work and/or voluntary experience in your field of interest would be a recommendation
- Women are highly encouraged to apply
- Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
- South African students are encouraged to apply
Number of Scholarships: Not indicated.
Value of Scholarship: Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro plus travel allowances for Master candidates and 900 Euro plus travel allowances for PhD candidates. More information about requirements for application and application procedure is provided in link below.
Duration of Scholarship: for period of the programme
How to Apply: You will have to fill in an electronic application form As the e-form can only be submitted once, please make sure that your application is complete before submitting it!
MA applicants will have to write a one page paper about 1 of the following 4 topics:
- François Bourguignon, a former Chief Economist of the World Bank referred to the “poverty growth inequality triangle”: Discuss this comment, critically evaluating the role of inequality in the current study of development in Africa.
- Write critically on perceptions about governance in Sub Saharan Africa.
- It has been claimed that climate change could potentially interrupt progress toward a world without hunger. Consider the evidence for this claim and discuss how climate change might impact on food security.
- Discuss the relationship between social movements and civil society in a specific SSA country of your choice.
Click here to apply
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2347037293057