Brief description: KAS Media Africa is currently offering a university scholarship to a promising, and outstanding young (under 30) sub-Saharan African journalist for a full-time Honours or Masters Degree at the University of Witwatersrand’s Journalism Programme in the beautiful city of Johannesburg in 2017.
Application Deadline: Submit applications on or before 31st August 2016.
Eligible Countries: Individuals from African countries are eligible to apply
Scholarship country: The University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
More Info: The Media Programme Sub-Saharan Africa has been in existence since 2002 as part of the KAS’ global Media Programme.
It acts within the advancement of democracy and the formation of opinion, without bias to regional or multilateral approaches. They are on a mission to cross-link media’s local stakeholders to one another as these stakeholders acquire knowledge and an understanding for their neighbouring countries and also learn from the methods, working processes and experiences of their colleagues in order to implement them in their own local or national environment (best practice).
Scholarship Type: Open to individuals seeking bachelors and Masters Degrees
- Candidates should be 30 years old, working as a journalist in a sub-Saharan African country and fluent in English.
- For Honours, candidates should have at least three years’ working experience and either an undergraduate degree or pass an entrance test.
- For Master’s, candidates must have a degree equivalent to the BA Honours in Journalism (or related field) and at least three years’ working experience.
- Candidates should be willing and ready to work closely with KAS Media Africa during their stay in Johannesburg and write a bi-monthly narrative report on their study progress.
- Candidates should make themselves available in mid-September for an interview by skype or telephone and be willing to sit a test exam.
- The decision on the award will be made before the end of September 2016.
- Successful candidates will be expected to complete an online student application and supply all the necessary documentation, including a SAQA assessment.
- The application for a student visa will be the responsibility of the candidate, who must begin the process before mid-November 2016.
- The academic year starts in the beginning of Feb 2017, and ends with the submission of research in November or the following February. The successful candidate should plan to travel in late January 2017.
Number of Scholarships: 1
Value of Scholarship: The scholarship provision will include the following:
- University fees will be fully catered for
- Return flight to Johannesburg
- Monthly stipend of 5 000 ZAR
- Accommodation fees for student housing
- A one-time payment of 2 500 ZAR for study material
Scholarship Duration: Scholarship will last throughout the duration of course
How to Apply: Candidates should submit the following:
- A motivation letter
- A CV
- Writing samples
- At least 2 letters of nomination/reference by a senior journalist, publisher or academic
Click here to apply
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2347037293057