- 15th March, 2017 (Decisions will be made by April 30, 2017)
- 15th May, 2017 (Decisions will be made by June 31,2017)
- 1st July, 2017 (Decisions will be made by August 31, 2017)
- 1st September, 2017 (Decisions will be made by October 15, 2017)
- 1st November, 2017 (Decisions will be made by December 15, 2017)
Eligible Countries: Only applicants from African countries should apply
Scholarship Info: The IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program will support research sabbaticals for top performing mathematicians from AFRICAN developing countries employed in AFRICA to travel to an Internationally known mathematical centre of excellence/university (WORLDWIDE) for collaborative research.
Note that this program is not for any post graduate course or post doctoral training but for a LIMITED RESEARCH PERIOD. The funding will exclusively cover TRAVEL and LIVING COSTS of African mathematicians working in Africa (Specifically coming from a developing country, the definition of which is determined by the IMU for all its schemes) during the sabbatical.
- Applicants should possess a valid doctoral degree (PhD) in mathematics.
- Applicants are expected to be based (place of work) in an African developing country.
- He/she has to be employed as a mathematician in a faculty of a university or an equivalent higher education institution.
- The applicant should already have established contact with a mathematician in the host institution in mathematical centre of excellence worldwide and should have a definite research plan together with the host, which must be submitted along with the curriculum vitae of both mathematicians at the time of applying for this grant. This plan should be approved by the host as well.
- The applicant should have been granted appropriate leave of absence from his/her home institution which will cover the period of the visit.
- The application must also be accompanied by a formal letter of invitation from the host institution, which clearly specifies the period of the (short) research visit as well as the extent of its financial commitment and support. It is expected that the host institution would at least offer office space, free Internet access and other basic amenities.The invitation has to come from the dean of the faculty for the host institution.
- The minimal length of a visit that could be favourably considered would be one month. There is no maximal length but it has to be a sabbatical/ research visit not a fellowship position in the host institution (e.g. doing a post-doctoral).
Value of Scholarship: The grant under this scheme will cover:
- Travel costs from the place of work of the applicant to that of the host to the extent of economy class airfare (Public) transport (surface transport by rail or bus between the nearest city where the airport is located and the headquarters of the candidate or the city/town where the host institution is located, if necessary)
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance charges
- Basic living costs
- Accommodation cost (guest house of the institution or rented flat if possible).
- Maximum four (4) Taxi fares (on submission of receipts) may be allowed to travel between the residence and the airport/railway station (upon arrival and departure).
How to Apply: Click here to apply
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476