Scholarship Info: Scholarships for applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries with excellent academic record. The DRD – Institute of Development Research and Development are offering DAAD merit scholarships every year. These coveted scholarships will be taken at University of the Western Cape, South Africa and Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany
Eligible Fields of Study
Scholarships will be available for full-time students of
- MA in Development Studies
- Master in Public Administration
- MA in Development Management
- the different PhD options at the centre
In order to adequately prepare the next generation of leaders through research-oriented training it is not sufficient to only award scholarships to promising candidates from all over Sub-Saharan Africa, but it is also necessary to maintain a strong research focus on the work of the centre and to cooperate closely with other leading universities in the region.
Scholarship Type: Scholarships valid for Masters & PhD
Selection Criteria and Eligibility
Requirements for application and application procedure
- All interested applicants should hail from Sub-Sahara Africa
- Applicants should possess an outstanding academic record – at least 70% for their last degree
- Applicants should equally apply within 3 years of having completed their previous degree program.
- The study must have been completed at an internationally recognized university
- The previous degree (Baccalaureus or Master) should have been an academic discipline which is related to Development Studies or Public Administration
- South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course. Other students need the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree
- Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be TOEFL test or a similar standard test or a letter from an academic institution
- Work and/or voluntary experience in your field of interest would be a recommendation
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply for these scholarships
- Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
Scholarship applicants are advised to carefully read about the specific entry requirements and course application procedure of the programme of their choice.
Number of Scholarships: Not indicated.
Value of Scholarship: Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro plus travel allowances for Master candidates and 900 Euro plus travel allowances for PhD candidates.
Duration of Scholarship: For the entire duration of the programme
How to Apply
You will have to fill in an electronic application form As the e-form can only be submitted once, please make sure that your application is complete before submitting it!
MA applicants will have to write a one page paper about 1 of the following 4 topics:
- François Bourguignon, a former Chief Economist of the World Bank referred to the “poverty growth inequality triangle”: Discuss this comment, critically evaluating the role of inequality in the current study of development in Africa.
- Write critically on perceptions about governance in Sub Saharan Africa.
- It has been claimed that climate change could potentially interrupt progress toward a world without hunger. Consider the evidence for this claim and discuss how climate change might impact on food security.
- Discuss the relationship between social movements and civil society in a specific SSA country of your choice.
Click here to apply
Related Posts :
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2347037293057