Comprehensive guide on how to study in Poland( low tuition universities)

poliiiiThis article looks into Application and Admission Requirements, Application Deadlines, Tuition Fees, Cost of Living and Visa Application Process for international students who wish to study in low tuition Universities in Poland. We will be taking you through the various steps of how to apply for admission in Poland.

Higher education has been the most dynamically developing in Europe in the last twelve years. The number of higher education institutions has increased fivefold while the number of students quadrupled. About half a million students are enrolled at universities and colleges each year. Things have also become easier for international students too. All leading universities offer programmes taught in English, these include medicine, engineering, humanities, business and finance. Moreover, Poland takes active part in the Bologna Process. Owing to the ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) students can be fully mobile, and continue education in other countries if they so wish.

Application and Admission requirements

The requirements depend on a specific university decision, and should be verified on the website of the university you wish to study in.

It is necessary to fill an application form, and submit it with the transcript of secondary school (or college/university) results and the evidence of English proficiency (usually TOEFL results) attached. Some universities also require letters of recommendation, personal essays and other documents, listed on their websites. To get into Art schools and some of the physical education departments, you may also write aptitude tests as part of your application process.

To qualify all international applicants must meet the minimum requirements for entry into higher education in their own country, have a matriculation certificate or equivalent document and have command of English, at least on an intermediate level.

Admission Information for BA or BSC (Bachelors) Candidates and for MA (Master) candidates

  1.       Notarized secondary school certificate or an official duplicate issued by the candidate’s high school,
  2.       Filled out application form,
  3.       4 passport-size photographs,
  4.       Copy of candidate’s ID (passport),
  5.       Certificate of the English language proficiency optionally (unless the high school courses were taught in English);
  6.       Medical certificate with no contraindication for studying,
  7.       Admission fee payment receipt.

A candidate might be asked to submit the following documents in addition if they are applying for MA;

  1.       A supplement to the undergraduate program diploma or a copy of the bachelor thesis, and other documentation,
  2.       Undergraduate program diploma or an official duplicate issued by the university,
  3.       candidate’s CV with the details about the school and professional career optionally,
  4.       A supplement to the undergraduate program diploma or a copy of the bachelor thesis,
  5.       and other documentation*
  6.       one academic reference and one personal reference optionally,

NB since some universities have additional various admission requirements, it is advisable to contact selected University prior to submission of your application

Application deadlines

Students are admitted twice annually, first in February (Spring Semester) and then in October (Fall Semester). Contact the admission office of the University you wish to study in directly, either by email, phone, fax or through one of its foreign recruitment offices, to get specific application start dates and deadlines.

If you need a visa to stay and study in Europe, you should apply earlier, so that decision concerning the issuance of your visa is made before the fall/spring semester begins.

Tuition Fees

or International students, studies in Poland cost around 2000 – 5000 Euros annually depending on the course and university. It is free for Poland citizens and foreigners who start their studies in state HEIs on terms applicable to Polish citizens.

Annual Fees for International students:


  • Professional higher study, master’s and postgraduate master’s courses, around EUR 2000
  • For doctoral, postgraduate and specialist courses and scientific, artistic, specialist and habilitation internships, around EUR 3000
  • For vocational courses and apprenticeships, round EUR 3000
  • For a language course, including a course preparing for study in Polish; Around EUR 2000



*All international students may apply for scholarships at (

*EU students may apply for scholarships at (

PS, University scholarships are available for academic excellence.

Cost of Living

Here’s an estimation of how your expenses could look like:

Accommodation                                                                            371.50 EUROS

Food about (116-162.50) EUROS                                             162.50 EUROS

Books and entertainment about (46.40-70) EUROS 70 EUROS

Local transport                                                                               15 EUROS

Total                                                                                                   619 EUROS (max)


Universities help international students find accommodation, either in their university dormitories (92.90- 139.30) EUROS or in flats (232.15-371.50) EUROS

Working in Poland


It’s easy for students to find part-time jobs in Polish cities, but the permission to work depends on your country of origin.

  1.       EU/EEA citizens: Citizens of the European Union and EEA countries (Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) and Switzerland are eligible to work in Poland without a work permit.
  2.       Citizens of Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine: May work in Poland without a work permit for six months in a period no longer than 12 months. Declaration of employment must be registered by the employer at the local job centre.
  3.       Non-EU/EEA citizens: Non-EU citizens enrolled as regular, full-time studies in Poland are allowed to work in July, August and September. For the rest of the year a work permit is needed. A work permit can be granted but only if no EU citizen is found to fill the vacancy. Formalities must be done by the employer. International students are not allowed to work on a student visa basis only. Students who have residence permits in Poland are entitled to work without authorization.

Visa Application Process


EU and EEA citizens do not need a visa to stay in Poland. What they have to do is to visit the local Voivodeship Office and register after, at most, 90 days of stay in Poland. The applicant must also prove that they have public healthcare insurance, and enough money to afford life in Poland.


Non- EU/EEA citizens must apply for a long term visa at their local Polish consulate. To do this, you will need your certificates of enrolment. The visa is valid for no longer than 12 months and must be revalidated in a local Voivodeship Office. The visa allows you to stay in Poland, and, for the first three months, also visit the other Schengen Agreement member countries. The visa may be prolonged but only in exceptional circumstances. If you plan to extend your period of stay in Poland over the period specified in the visa, you must apply for residence permit. To acquire the permit, you must have a valid health insurance policy and enough money to cover the costs of stay in Poland and return travel to your country of origin.


Another important thing is to apply for a temporary residence certificate within 3 days from the date of arrival in Poland at the local Population Registry Bureau in the Municipal Office.

More information is available at (Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs).


For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to or call +2347037293057

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *