If you have been wondering if there are any low tuition/cheap university in America, there is. Stony Brook University is one of the cheapest universities in The United States with an annual tuition cost of $21 550 for international students. Stony Brook offers over 200 academic programs including Engineering and Applied sciences, History and Politics, Education, Economics BA and Biochemistry BS, to name but a few. Another amazing fact about the university is that about 90% of their recent graduates are employed; so if you study at Stony Brook University, international students will not just enjoy studying at low costs, but you will also stand a better chance of getting a job once you graduate.The university even helps in the visa application process for students.
Financial aid and Scholarships
There are a variety of scholarships offered to students based on merit, financial need, talents, leadership and community service. The scholarships are categorised into Entering Freshmen scholarships, Undergraduate scholarships, Graduate scholarships, Athletic scholarships and even external awards which students may receive from organisations independent from the university.
In this article we will look at the Admission Requirements, Application process and Application Deadlines.
Students who wish to be admitted must meet the following criteria:
- Freshman: must have completed secondary education in their country of residence and studied math, natural sciences and English/ any other language if English is the language of instruction in their school.
- Transfer Students: must have completed a minimum of 24 credits with a GPA of 3.0 or more. If not, they can send high school transcripts
- Language proficiency:
- SAT score must be 430 or more
- IELTS score must be 6.5 or more
- Computer-based TOEFL score must be 213 or more
- Paper-based TOEFL score must be 550 or more
- Internet-based TOEFL score must be 80 or more
Application Process and deadlines
International students pay an application fee of $50 and the application is done through The Common Application online platform at https://apply.commonapp.org where they will have to subscribe for membership, write a 250 word essay and go through a counselling evaluation before they apply.
Documents to be submitted are;
- English proficiency score report
- Secondary school records
- University records (for transfer students)
- Copy of passport
- Bank statement or statement of source of funds
These documents should be mailed to the University’s mailing address found on the university’s Website.
There are two entry terms, the Fall semester for which applications are now open and will close on January 15th, and the Spring semester for which applications closed on November 1st.
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476