Application Deadline: Submit applications on or before 15 September 2016 (round 2) 31st January 2017 (round 1 2017)
Scholarship Info: The University of Newcastle Australia is now offering distinguished university and commonwealth government scholarships for Research Masters & PhD degree for deserving international students
Eligible Courses: Only courses offered at the university.
Scholarship Info:Note that all full-time research students are eligible to apply for University and Commonwealth Government scholarships, which are awarded during one main round offer.Each scholarship will provide a living allowance so you can commit to full-time academic study. Historically over 90% of international students hold a scholarship from UON or a sponsor.
Scholarship Type: Only for Research Masters and PhD Scholarships
Selection Criteria:All scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit, which includes a candidate’s undergraduate grade point average and extra research attainments.
Eligibility criteria is set by the Commonwealth Government and candidates must:
- have a current offer of admission into a research higher degree.
- have completed at least four years of undergraduate study and have attained Honours Class 1 or equivalent and a high grade point average (GPA)
- be no more than two full-time equivalent years into their PhD (or one year for Masters) at the end of the year.
Successful international scholarship candidates usually also have:
- satisfied the English proficiency requirement (IELTS of at least 6.5)
- A master degree with strong research component
- International peer reviewed research publication or research experience
- Be enrolled full-time (part-time enrolment may be approved in exceptional circumstances. Part-time scholarships are taxable)
- be enrolled on-campus (off-campus enrolment may be approved in exceptional circumstances)
- scholars may only work a maximum of 8 hours per week (between Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
- Scholarship offers must be taken-up in the year of the offer and cannot be deferred to the following year. A leave of absence may be taken after 1 year full-time enrolment.
Number of Scholarships: Several scholarships will be awarded. Not quite sure of the exact number.
Value of Scholarship: A scholarship funded by the University of Newcastle or the Commonwealth Government provides:
- An annual living allowance $26, 288 per annum (2016 rate – indexed annually)
The scholarship may also include:
- a relocation allowance (up to $2,020)
- a thesis allowance (up to $500)
- a full tuition fee scholarship (international students)
- overseas student health cover (OSHC) (international students)
Duration of Scholarship: PhD scholarships are for three years and Masters scholarships are for two years, less any tenure already completed towards a research degree.
Eligible Countries: International students
Scholarship Institution and Country : The University of Newcastle n Australia
How to Apply
- Currently enrolled candidates can apply for a scholarship by contacting researchscholarships[@]newcastle.edu.au
- New applicants can apply for a scholarship at the same time as applying for admission.
Visit here for more info
Your application for admission must include:
- Copies of all academic transcripts
- A research proposal
- Evidence of extra academic attainments e.g. publications
- If required, certified evidence of meeting the English proficiency requirement
What happens once you submit your application?
- Applications are assessed and ranked according to merit
- Attendance at an interview is not normally required
- Scholarship outcomes are known from mid December each year