The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) was set up to attract and retain some of the best doctoral students and to make Canada a global centre of excellence in doctoral research and higher learning. All scholarships will be awarded towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
All accepted scholars will be study in partner canadian Universities with Vanier CGS allocation. Without exception, the Vanier CGS is tenable only at the eligible Canadian institution that submitted the nomination.
PhD programmes (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) in health research; natural sciences and/or engineering research; and social sciences and/or humanities research
Usually 167 scholarships are awarded annually
Canadian citizens are eligible to apply, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are equally eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
Value of Scholarship:
Each scholarships is worth $50,000 per year for three years.
To be considered for a Vanier CGSt:
- Candidates should be nominated by only one Canadian university, which has to be Vanier CGS partner university;
- Applicants should be pursuing their first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating university; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2017;
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the university for its definition of a first-class average; and
- not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should be nominated by a Canadian Institution with a quota at which they want to study.Note that candidates are not allowed to apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program OR the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadline using the ResearchNet application system. The nominating institution then forwards recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) by2 November 2016.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and to know the complete details on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: Click here to apply
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2347037293057