Application Deadline: Submit applications on or before 31st December 2016
Eligible Countries: If you hail from a Sub-Saharan African country.
Scholarship Institution: School of Government, University of the Western Cape, South Africaand Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany
More Info: Applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries who posses sterling academic records/results are eligible to apply for the DAAD merit scholarships per year. These scholarships will be taken at University of the Western Cape, South Africa and Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany
Scholarships will be available for full-time students of
- MA in Development Studies
- Master in Public Administration
- MA in Development Management
- the different PhD options at the centre
Scholarship Type: Only Masters & PhD
Requirements for application and application procedure
- Eligible applicants should hail from Sub-Sahara Africa
- Applicants possess outstanding academic grades – at least 70% for your last degree
- Applicants should apply within 3 years of having completed their previous degree
- The study must have been completed at an internationally recognized university
- The previous degree (Baccalaureus or Master) should have been an academic discipline which is related to Development Studies or Public Administration
- South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course. Other students need the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree
- Applicants must show clear evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can either beTOEFL test or a similar standard test or a letter from an academic institution
- Work and/or voluntary experience in your field of interest would be a recommendation
- Women are highly encouraged to apply for these scholarships.
- Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
Scholarship applicants are advised to carefully read about the specific entry requirements and course application procedure of the programme of their choice. The information is available from the respective programmes sections.
Number of Scholarships: not specified
Value of Scholarship: Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro plus travel allowances for Master candidates and 900 Euro plus travel allowances for PhD candidates.
Duration of Scholarship: for period of the programme
How to Apply
You will have to fill in an electronic application form As the e-form can only be submitted once, please make sure that your application is complete before submitting it!
MA applicants will have to write a one page paper about 1 of the following 4 topics:
- François Bourguignon, a former Chief Economist of the World Bank referred to the “poverty growth inequality triangle”: Discuss this comment, critically evaluating the role of inequality in the current study of development in Africa.
- Write critically on perceptions about governance in Sub Saharan Africa.
- It has been claimed that climate change could potentially interrupt progress toward a world without hunger. Consider the evidence for this claim and discuss how climate change might impact on food security.
- Discuss the relationship between social movements and civil society in a specific SSA country of your choice.
Click here to apply