The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) was created in a bid to attract and retain world-class doctoral students who are ardent research students and to prove that Canada is indeed a global center of excellence in higher research and post graduate learning. VCS actively supports students who possess both leadership skills and a high standard of academic achievement in graduate studies and are interested in pursuing post graduate courses in social sciences, humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health.
Value of Scholarship
$50,000 a year for three years of post-graduate programs.
Fields of Study:
The Vanier Scholarships currently support doctoral studies in the social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, engineering, as well as health-related fields.
Number of Scholarship:
Nearly 167 scholarships are awarded annually. While a grand total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any given time.
Scholarship Duration: Scholarships are awarded for three years of doctoral programs.
Open to both Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign students pursuing a doctoral degree at eligible Canadian universities
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- -be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation;
- -be pursuing your first doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating university; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2015.
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the university for its definition of a first-class average; and
- not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR,NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
- Academic excellence, as demonstrated by past academic results and by transcripts, awards and distinctions.
- Research potential, as demonstrated by the candidates research history, his/her interest in discovery, the proposed research and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the field, the potential benefit to Canadians, and any anticipated outcomes.
- Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability), as defined by the following qualities:
- Personal Achievement:
- Involvement in Academic Life:
- Volunteerism/community outreach:
- Civic engagement:
How to Apply
Candidates must be nominated by the university at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
Application Deadline for the 2014-2015 competition: November 5, 2014
For more details about this scholarship and the general application requirement visit
The Vanier’s scholarships are administered by Canada’s three federal funding agencies:
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
For more enquiries about admissions into universities abroad, send an email to Jonah@studyabroad365.com or call +2348125835476